The town of Charlton is located in the southwest corner of Saratoga County (North of Schenectady) and was first part of the Balls Town district in Albany. The town is named after a notable physician and was first settled in 1770. The town was formed from the Town of Ballston in 1792 after the establishment of Saratoga County. It had previously been known as New Freehold for it’s settlers from the New Jersey area with the same name. The south town line is the border of Schenectady County and the west town line is the border of Montgomery County.
The town of Charlton was first settled by Joseph Gonzalez around 1770. It was formed from Baliston in March of 1792. Later in 1774, the town saw many Scotish-Irish families who had fled or had been banned from Great Britain due to religious belief. These families ended up making Charlton home. Charlton has a very beautiful landscape and is situated in Saratoga County near Schenectady making it an easily accessible area.
* Blue Corners — by the west town line.
* Charlton — south of the town center on County Roads 51 and 52.
* Harmony Corners — in the northeast corner of the town on NY-67.
* Holbrook Corners — near the north town line, located on NY-67.
* Komar Park — near the southeast part of Charlton..
* Tucker Heights — by the south town line.
* West Charlton — northwest of Charlton, located on NY-147.
* Wheeler Estates — A location in the southeast part of Charlton.