Lake George is one of the most historic areas throughout the entire New York State. It has been nicknamed the “Queen of the American Lakes” and drains into Lake Champlain. The lake is 32 miles and draws from underground springs. It also includes 109 miles of shoreline, close to 300 islands, covers nearly 44 square miles, and is 320 feet above sea level. The water from Lake George empties through Ticonderoga Creek into Lake Champlain at a total fall which surpasses that of Niagara Falls. Along Lake George’s shores were made military decisions which had an effect on America’s early history and helped mold what America is today. From Lake George to Florida, it is vital to get good Plastic Surgery Marketing solutions! Protect your online brand with our United States’ exclusive Miami Internet Marketing and also offering top-notch Plastic Surgery SEO services.
Lake George is located in the Adirondack Park and mountain range. Notable landforms include Anthony’s Nose, Deer’s Leap, Roger’s Rock, the Indian Kettles, Diver’s Rock (a 15 ft (4.6 m) jump into the lake), and Double-Diver’s. Mountains include Tongue Mountain, Sugarloaf Mountain, Prospect Mountain, Shelving Rock, Pilot Knob, and Black Mountain.
The lake was originally named the Horican, meaning “tail of the lake”, by local Native Americans, and was called the Horican in James Fenimore Cooper’s narrative Last of the Mohicans. The Last of the Mohicans is considered by many to be a classic film in cinema history.
In 1755, an expedition against the French was planned to eliminate French rights in America. This meeting was scheduled to take place at Albany and all the colonies met there. The plan was set and Major General William Johnson advanced from Albany to Fort Edward to Lake Saint Sacrement with a force of around 2200 colonial troops and 300 Indians for the Battle of Lake George.
The Lake George and Adirondack area had a prominent role in famous battles of the French and Indian Wars as well as the American Revolution and was originally a route of travel for the American Indian. For them, it formed the connecting link in the main water route between the Hudson River and Lake Champlain. The Iroquois called it: “There Where the Lake Is Shut In.
In August of 1642, Father Isaac Joques and his men paddled over Lake George and were the first white men to set eyes on its beauty. They were attacked and captured by the Mohawks but Father Joques escaped and returned home to France. In 1646 he was sent by the French Governor on a political embassy to the Iroquois in relation to a treaty of peace. He reached the foot of Lake George on the Festival of Corpus Christi and renamed the lake “Lac du Saint Sacrement.” Father Joques died a martyr at the hands of the Mohawks. A statue was erected for him to him in July of 1939 and stands to this day in Battleground Park.
Following the Battle of Lake George, General Johnson hurried to strengthen defenses at the head of Lake George. He erected a fort which he named Fort William Henry.
In 1757 the first real attempt was made by the French against this fortress. In August of that year a large force of French and Indians secured the surrender of the fort after a six day overtaking. The defenders were promised safe convoy to Fort Edward, however, a bloody massacre ensued sparked by the long history of war between the Adirondack Indian tribes involved. The fort was then torn down and the logs set on fire. This campaign was used by James Fenimore Cooper as the background for his famous novel, “The Last of the Mohicans.” The fort was reconstructed and opened to the public as a museum in 1953.
Battles in this area continued during the French and Indian Wars and were followed by a short period of peace. Ill-feelings between the colonists and the British continued to mount and the war for American Independence finally began on April 9, 1775. One month later Fort Ticonderoga was seized from the English by Ethan Allen, Benedict Arnold, and the Green Mountain Boys.
The fort fell without loss of a single life and was the first American victory during the Revolution.
In November, General George Washington sent General Henry Knox to bring cannon from Fort Ticonderoga to Boston.
They were dragged to Fort George by scow and then over the snow by sled to Boston. Today there are markers at six mile intervals tracing the route which General Knox followed that winter.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Lake George was a common spot sought out by well known artists, including Martin Johnson Heade, John F. Kensett, E. Charlton Fortune and Frank Vincent DuMond.
Good to Know
“Lake George is without comparison, the most beautiful water I ever saw; formed by a a contour of mountains into a basin thirty-five miles long and from two to four miles broad, finely interspersed with islands, its water limpid as crystal and the mountainsides covered with rich groves of silver fir, white pine, aspen and paper birch down to the water, here and there precipices of rock to checker the scene and save it from monotony. An abundance of speckled trout, salmon trout, bass, and other fish with which it is stored, have added to our other amusements the sport of taking them.”